[Openstack-operators] Scaling the Ops Meetup

Subbu Allamaraju subbu at subbu.org
Wed Jul 1 00:34:30 UTC 2015

Edgar,

> I also wanted to bring to your attention that during the summit the attendance was lower that in the mid-cycle one (Philadelphia). Probably because there are so many things running in parallel that people just need to decide between very important sessions. So, does it make sense to have four Operators meetups along the year?  Maybe not!
> What about just having the mid-cycle ones?

Having built and invested several operational products/glue to run OpenStack at scale, my ideal scenario is that operational features become part of OpenStack projects, discussed along side regular non-operational features at the summit.

Unfortunately, this style of convergence is not happening yet due to the lag between what dev-side is building and what operators are running (55% operators running >12 months old code). Nonetheless I think such a convergence is extremely important for long-term viability of OpenStack and the operator community.

Though not related to the subject of this thread, I just want to leave this thought on how the operators’ activities in the community should evolve.

Thanks
Subbu