[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [all][log] Openstack HTTP error codes

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Fri Jan 30 21:46:44 UTC 2015

You are splitting hairs here...

If I was talking to nova about a vm but nova was having an issue
communicating to neutron to get the vm network/ip details it would be
helpful to know the error happened in neutron vs's a generic 500 error.
Or if I ask nova to give me an image list (or snapshot create) and glance
is throwing an error it would be helpful to know the error came from
glance vs's nova.  We have people that integrate to nova vs's integrating
to all the other projects because they can get almost everything they
want/care about directly from nova.

Point being, raising something through the api that an error happened in
another subsystem is better at a minimum from an ops perspective and
creates (imho) a better end-user experience.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy, LLC.