[Openstack-operators] Deprecation of in tree EC2 API in Nova for Kilo release

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Jan 28 20:38:02 UTC 2015

There are currently 35% of openstack clouds from the survey using this feature. I would therefore propose that this be reviewed with the operators in detail before a rapid depreciation is performed. To the best of my knowledge, the new package is not yet in use in production.

At CERN, we are highly dependent on this function and while it does not provide 100% compatibility, it works pretty well.

I would therefore propose that the new EC2 API modules are validated in production and at scale before depreciating the existing functions. I think validating, packaging and deploying to a reasonable number of clouds and reviewing it with the operators is a viable target for Kilo. This can then be reviewed in one of the joint developer/operator sessions for feasibility.

Tim