[Openstack-operators] Small openstack (part 2), distributed glance

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 22:20:13 UTC 2015

Hello everyone.

One more thing in the light of small openstack.

I really dislike tripple network load caused by current glance snapshot
operations. When compute do snapshot, it playing with files locally,
than it sends them to glance-api, and (if glance API is linked to
swift), glance sends them to swift. Basically, for each 100Gb disk there
is 300Gb on network operations. It is specially painful for glance-api,
which need to get more CPU and network bandwidth than we want to spend
on it.

So idea: put glance-api on each compute node without cache.

To help compute to go to the proper glance, endpoint points to fqdn, and
on each compute that fqdn is pointing to localhost (where glance-api is
live). Plus normal glance-api on API/controller node to serve
dashboard/api clients.

I didn't test it yet.

Any ideas on possible problems/bottlenecks? And how many glance-registry
I need for this?