[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators][openstack-dev][Rally][HA-testing][multi-scenarios-load-gen] Proposal to change Rally input task format

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Wed Feb 25 21:24:00 UTC 2015

Hi stackers,

When we started Rally we have a just small idea to make some tool that
generates load and measures performance. During almost 2 years a lot of
changed in Rally, so now it's quite common testing framework that allows to
cover various topics like: stress, load, volume, performance, negative,
functional testing. Since the begging we have idea of "scenario" centric
approach, where scenario method that is called multiple times
simultaneously to generate load and duration of it is collected.

This is huge limitation that doesn't allow us to easily generate real life
load. (e.g. loading simultaneously few components) or HA testing (where we
need during the load generation to disable/kill process, reboot or power
off physical nodes). To make this possible we should just run multiple
scenarios in parallel, but this change will require change in input task
format.

I made proposal of new Rally task input format in this patch:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/159065/3/specs/new_rally_input_task_format.yaml

Please review it. Let's try to resolve all UX issues before starting
working on it.

P.S. I hope this will be the last big change in Rally input task format..

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic