[Openstack-operators] [Ceilometer] Real world experience with Ceilometer deployments - Feedback requested

Diego Parrilla Santamaría diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 17:23:08 UTC 2015

Hi Mash,

we dropped Ceilometer as the core tool to gather metrics for our rating and
billing system. I must admit it has improved, but I think it's broken by
design: a metering and monitoring system is not the same thing.

We have built a component that directly listens from rabbit notification
tools (a-la-Stacktach). This tool stores the all events in a database (but
anything could work, it's just a logging system) and then we process these
events and store them in a datamart style database every hour. The rating
and billing system reads this database and process it every hour too. We
decided to implement this pipeline processing of data because we knew in
advance that processing such an amount of data was a challenge.

I think Ceilometer should be used just to trigger alarms for heat for
example, and something else should be used for rating and billing.

Cheers
Diego

 --
Diego Parrilla