[Openstack-operators] Docker using novadocker vs coreos ?

Christopher Aedo caedo at mirantis.com
Wed Feb 4 15:55:12 UTC 2015

The Nova-Docker driver is available here, and allows Nova to address a
Docker host natively:
https://github.com/stackforge/nova-docker
There are some very recent commits, and it's being actively developed.

The Kolla work (https://github.com/stackforge/kolla) has details on
deploying Docker images via Heat templates (for the Triple-O project -
but can easily be extended to Docker-specific stuff).

Lars' blog post from last summer goes over the Docker plugin for Heat:
http://blog.oddbit.com/2014/08/30/docker-plugin-for-openstack-he/

The Magnum project (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Magnum) is young,
but making fast progress.  If you're interested in OpenStack and
containers it's a good one to keep an eye on.

Finally, Murano (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Murano) can be used
to launch VMs to as Docker hosts with the benefit of neutron-native
networking for orchestration purposes (making an overlay like Flannel
unnecessary if you are going to experiment with Kubernetes).

-Christopher