[Openstack-operators] Galera setup testing

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Mon Dec 7 15:04:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 3:54 AM, Ajaya Agrawal <ajku.agr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We are deploying Openstack and planning to run multi-master Galera setup
> in production. My team is responsible for running a highly available
> Keystone. I have two questions when it comes to Galera with Keystone.
>
> 1. How do you test if a Galera cluster is setup properly?
> 2. Is there any Galera test specific to Keystone which you have found
> useful?

For 1 you could say that the clustercheck script which ships with
puppet-galera and is forked from
https://github.com/olafz/percona-clustercheck is a really simple check that
galera is up and the cluster is sync'd. It's main goal however is to
provide status to haproxy.

One thing you want to check is the turnaround time on operations, for
example, creating a user on a node and then immediately using them on
another node. We found that this is likely to sometimes (but rarely) fail.
The solution is two-fold, first, don't store tokens in mysql. Second,
designate one node as the primary in haproxy.

Other than that we've gotten good at reading the wsrep_ cluster status
info, but to be honest, once we removed tokens from the db, we've been in
way better shape.