[Openstack-operators] kilo - neutron - ipset problems?

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Thu Aug 20 05:07:17 UTC 2015

We have been using ipsets since juno.  Twice now since our kilo upgrade we have had issues with ipsets blowing up on a compute node.

The first time, was iptables was referencing an ipset that was either no longer there or was not added, and was trying to apply the iptables config every second and dumping the full iptables-resotore output into the log when it failed at TRACE level.
Second time, was that ipsets was failing to remove an element that was no longer there.

For #1 I solved by restarting the neutron-openvswitch-agent.  For #2 we just added the entry that ipsets was trying to remove.  It seems like we are having some race conditions under kilo that were not present under juno (or we managed to run it for 6+ months without it biting us).

Is anyone else seeing the same problems?  I am noticing some commits reverting/re-adding around ipsets in kilo and liberty so trying to confirm if I need to open a new bug on this.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy, LLC.