[Openstack-operators] [magnum] Trying to use Magnum with Kilo

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 20:48:52 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "David Medberry" <openstack at medberry.net>
> To: "Mike Smith" <mismith at overstock.com>
>
> Distributions are respectively responsible for what they package or don't
> package (though if they package the service they SHOULD IMHO package a
> functioning client.) There is an overall project (or two) to get to a
> single common client.

RDO doesn't currently package magnum (service or client), I believe the sentence "Since the Magnum RPMs are present in RDO, I’m using RPMs built by one of the Magnum developers (available at https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/sdake/openstack-magnum/)" in the original email was meant to say *aren't*. Steve doesn't have an equivalent COPR for python-magnumclient, I believe because the expectation at the moment is that you would just pull it from pip.

I did kick off a thread on the RDO community mailing list about how to handle "packaging the big tent" in RDO a while ago as we expect demand for more projects to be included to increase in the future but we didn't reach a clear resolution yet:

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-May/thread.html#00284

I need to pick this up again but the idea is ideally to make it easier for interested RDO community members to package OpenStack projects they are interested in and get them included in the distribution.

Thanks,

Steve

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Mike Smith <mismith at overstock.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks.  I’ll check it out.
> >
> > Can anyone out there tell me how projects like python-magnumclient and the
> > openstack-magnum software itself get picked up by the RDO folks?  I’d like
> > to see those be picked up in their distro but I’m not sure where that work
> > takes place.  Do project developers typically package up their projects and
> > make them available to the RDO maintainers or do RedHat folks pick up
> > sources from the projects, do the packaging, and make those packages
> > available?
> >
> > We can start building our own packages for this of course, but as
> > operators prefer not to because of all the dependency overhead.   Unless
> > it’s something we can do to help get the packages into the RDO repos (i.e.
> > become a package maintainer as a way of contributing)
> >
> > Mike Smith
> > Principal Engineer / Cloud Team Lead
> > Overstock.com
> >

> > On Aug 18, 2015, at 2:47 PM, David Medberry <openstack at medberry.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-magnumclient
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Mike Smith <mismith at overstock.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I’m trying to use Magnum on our Openstack Kilo cloud which runs CentOS 7
> >> and RDO.   Since the Magnum RPMs are present in RDO, I’m using RPMs built
> >> by one of the Magnum developers (available at
> >> https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/sdake/openstack-magnum/)
> >>
> >> Once I got rid of a conflicting UID that it tries to use for the magnum
> >> user, I’m able to start up the services.   However, following along with
> >> the Magnum documentation that exists (
> >> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/magnum/), the next step is to use
> >> the “magnum” command to define things like bay models and bays.
> >>
> >> However, the “magnum” command doesn’t seem to exist.  I’m not sure if
> >> it’s supposed to exist as a symlink to something else?
> >>
> >> Is anyone else out there using Magnum with RDO Kilo?  I’d love to chat
> >> with someone else that has worked through these issues.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mike
> >>
> >> Mike Smith
> >> Principal Engineer / Cloud Team Lead
> >> Overstock.com <http://overstock.com/>

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use and
> > review of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> > information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this
> > message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
> > for delivering the message solely to the intended recipient, you are hereby
> > notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
> > communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> > communication in error, please notify sender immediately by telephone or
> > return email. Thank you.

Steve Gordon, RHCE
Sr. Technical Product Manager,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform