[Openstack-operators] Sharing resources across OpenStack instances

Marc Heckmann marc.heckmann at ubisoft.com
Thu Apr 23 00:26:14 UTC 2015

[top posting on this one]

Hi,

When you write "Openstack instances", I'm assuming that you're referring
to Openstack deployments right?

We have different deployments based on geographic regions for
performance concerns but certainly not by department. Each Openstack
project is tied to a department/project budget code and re-billed
accordingly based on Ceilometer data. No need to have separate
deployments for that. Central IT owns all the Cloud infra.

In the separate deployments the only thing that we aim to have shared is
Swift and Keystone (it's not the case for us right now).

Glance images need to be identical between deployments but that's easily
achievable through automation both for the operator and the end user.

We make sure that the users understand that these are separate
regions/Clouds akin to AWS regions.

-m