[Openstack-operators] OpenStack Kilo RC1 for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Ubuntu 15.04.

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 20 07:28:29 UTC 2015

Hi

Trimming CC list down to openstack-operators only as this conversation
seems pertinent there.

On 20/04/15 01:33, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> Listen, the Kilo for Ubuntu Trusty install documentation (draft)
> currently recommends an external repository (for Debian Jessie) to
> install RabbitMQ from it, right here:
>
> http://docs-draft.openstack.org/78/174878/5/check/gate-openstack-manua
ls-tox-doc-publish-checkbuild/38d6b1e//publish-docs/trunk/install-guide/
install/apt/content/ch_basic_environment.html#basics-message-queue

>  ---
[...]
> ---
>
> But, I don't like to rely on any third party repositories for my
> production environments, I prefer to use only Ubuntu official
> repositories, specially when the external repository was not
> compiled for Trusty.

I'd also prefer that the Ubuntu Cloud archive be used where possible :-)
.

Maybe the docs could be updated to optionally use the upstream
RabbitMQ repo's?  Some end-users will want the latest and greatest,
whereas I suspect some will want to stick with a integrated distro
release.

> So, can you guys Backport the required RabbitMQ 3.5.1 to Trusty
> and update the documentation?

We can't provide 3.5.1 for OpenStack Kilo - we're well past Feature
Freeze in Ubuntu, so a major version bump like this now is to high risk.

We'll bump to 3.5.x next cycle.

> I'll stick with Rabbit 3.4 from Trusty now. Do you know if Kilo
> have problems with it?

I'm not aware of any problems with 3.4.3 as provided in the Cloud
Archive - although I do note a new point release - I'll take a look
and see if there is anything critical.

Just as a side note, I also see that MariaDB is installed in
preference to stock mysql - its worth noting that MariaDB in Ubuntu
does *not* receive stable support from either the Ubuntu Server or
Ubuntu Security teams.  Otto (the Debian & Ubuntu maintainer of
MariaDB) does generally keep ontop of things, but this is a situation
end-users should be aware of.

Cheers

James

- --