[Openstack-operators] [Neutron][Nova] No Valid Host when booting new VM with Public IP

Gustavo Randich gustavo.randich at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 21:52:24 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to setup exactly this
<http://www.s3it.uzh.ch/blog/openstack-neutron-vlan/> (instance attached
directly to ext-net), using VLAN external networks.

Everything seems to work OK: the VM sees the DHCP server in the network
node, routes get configured inside the VM, but when it sends ARP asking for
the MAC address of the external default gateway, it never gets the answer,
because the arp-reply frame is dropped by br-vlan in the compute node (ovs
for external network). The cause of the drop is that it is not tagged with
any VLAN ID. So, my question is:

- Should the external facing OVS (br-ex or br-vlan) have as a port one
which receives tagged frames from the external network (i.e. eth0) or
untagged frames (i.e. vlanXX, eth0.XX)?

Thanks!