[Openstack-operators] Architecture Opinions

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Mon Sep 29 21:28:10 UTC 2014

Hey folks,

So I've been through a number of POC and smaller deployment clusters since
Folsom, but I'm now working on one that should be a good bit larger and
have a much greater need for HA. The diagrams that I originally drew up
that seemed reasonable a few months ago are in conflict with a lot of the
reference architectures I'm seeing now, and I could really use some
feedback on people actually doing this in production right now.

The architecture I intended to deploy was this:

2 HAProxy nodes to load balance active / active APIs and Horizon
2 HAProxy nodes to load balance a Galera Mysql cluster
2 Control nodes with all API services
3 Galera / MySQL nodes
3 MongoDB nodes running replica sets for Ceilometer
2 Neutron Nodes running Active / Passive L3/DHCP/LBaaS agents (hopefully
active active L3 in Juno)
3 Ceph-Mon nodes
3 Ceph-OSD nodes (hosting Cinder, Glance, and potentially instance storage)
X number of compute nodes depending on the requirement

The reference architectures I'm seeing out of Redhat and Mirantis among
others seem to like putting all of the above eggs except the Storage into 3
identical baskets. This just feels bad and painful to me and like it would
lead to very badly performing everything. Am I totally just stuck in the
past with how I'm thinking of setting all this up?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

-Erik