[Openstack-operators] Openstack and mysql galera with haproxy

Simon McCartney simon at mccartney.ie
Thu Sep 18 16:52:44 UTC 2014

We're using haproxy in front of a 3 node galera cluster, and we see the lost connection stuff pretty often, but that's normal behaviour, MySQL will tear down idle connections, SQLA handles reconnecting fine.

As for deadlocks, if you are distributing writes across your nodes, I'd expect that, we solved it by using haproxy in a primary/backup mode, all traffic flows to one node by default, and fails over to one of the other nodes in the event of a failure, this means that writes are concentrated in a single node & the deadlock & roll back doesn't bite you.

Also - I think you need to be running 3 galera nodes to be safe, as if a partition occurs, you can't cleanly reconnect a node as you can't achieve quorum. (I am not a DBA...)

We're not running Neutron, so I can't comment on that, sorry.

Simon.