[Openstack-operators] Grizzly: live-migration with attached volume?

Stephen Cousins steve.cousins at maine.edu
Fri Sep 12 16:31:20 UTC 2014

I am fairly new to Openstack having just inherited a Grizzly system with
NFS storage. "nova live-migration" is working unless the VM has an attached
volume. When it doesn't work, the VM does move but it is not possible to
connect to it and the CPU load on that VM goes up to the number of cores
assigned to it. That is, for a VM with 8 cores in it, the load for that
qemu-system-x86_64 process goes up to about 800%. Is this a known problem
with Grizzly?

Here is a description of our system:

   three machines set up with HA for Quantum (with Open vSwitch), Cinder,
RabbitMQ, and Nova. These nodes are all compute nodes too. We also have
another machine that is just compute.

Cinder and Glance storage is all NFS connected to each machine with the
same mount points.

​The command I am using to do the migration is:

    nova live-migration $UUID compute3

In some cases the migration has worked when a volume has been attached.
Most of the time however, it does not work.

Thanks,

Steve

 Steve Cousins             Supercomputer Engineer/Administrator
 Advanced Computing Group            University of Maine System
 244 Neville Hall (UMS Data Center)              (207) 561-3574
 Orono ME 04469                      steve.cousins at maine.edu