[Openstack-operators] Monitoring RabbitMQ

hemant burman hemant.burman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 18:40:32 UTC 2014

It is also a good idea to get hold of queues whose consumers are 0 and have
alot of messages/big in size.
What we have observed in our environment is RabbitMQ starts showing some
slowness @ RES Memory consumption of 3+GB(Note: not Virtual)

Also since RabbitMQ runs inside an Erlang VM its a good Idea to get Stats
out of the same. Stats like say Garbage Collection, Scheduler Usage(Erlang
Scheduler), Runqueue Length etc, alot is explained in
https://github.com/ferd/vmstats/

There are a lot of ways to collect these statistics, by spinning up a
separate erlang VM with the command:
erl -sname <whatever> -setcookie <whatever cookie you are using in your
RabbitMQ cluster>
<Once in erlang shell>

rpc:call(<RQ_Nodename>, erlang, statistics, [garbage_collection]).
-Hemant