[Openstack-operators] qemu 1.x to 2.0

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 00:24:14 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Joe Topjian" <joe at topjian.net>
> To: "Robert van Leeuwen" <Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com>
>
> > I wonder if the qemu update issues are in the realm of the OpenStack
> > project.
> > Since they are provided / packaged by the distro's.
> > Maybe people from Ubuntu & Redhat (which I would be interested in ;)
> > reading this could give some suggestions...
> >

> I'd really appreciate someone from Ubuntu or Redhat clarifying this
> situation.
>
> IMO, I don't think this issue is OpenStack's responsibility -- more on the
> distribution side. This is why I'm curious about the core reason why qemu
> 1.x and 2.0 are marked as incompatible in Ubuntu's release notes. Is it
> just how Ubuntu packaged/configured qemu? Or is it native to qemu itself
> (which would then affect all distributions)?

My understanding is it's a combination of both issues to watch out for and fix in the qemu/libvirt projects themselves as new features are added as well as the machine types configured by the distributions, there were similar issues with migrations from RHEL 5 -> RHEL 6.

As a result work was done during the development of RHEL 7 to avoid a repeat of this and as a result migration of guests from RHEL 6 -> RHEL 7 is possible and supported out of the box [1]. RHEL 7 -> RHEL 6 migration is not however, apparently this is more problematic to handle.

Thanks,

Steve

[1] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Virtualization_Deployment_and_Administration_Guide/sect-KVM_live_migration-Live_migration_and_Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_version_compatibility_.html