[Openstack-operators] Ephemeral instances in RBD issue

Simon Leinen simon.leinen at switch.ch
Sun Oct 26 13:08:57 UTC 2014

Abel Lopez writes:
> I saw this last commit to jdurgin's nova fork which solves the issue (
> https://github.com/jdurgin/nova/commit/ea4b5369e4bec4dd7a0ce9f68769600329cda6c6
> )
> now a snapshot happens in seconds.

> The problem that we've introduced however, is that about 15-20m after
> we do a snapshot, the VM is powered off.
> Every time.

Ouch! Have you checked the logs (nova-compute and maybe libvirtd's)?

> I can start the instance back up with `nova start`, but I am leery of
> pushing this out to prod and having to tell users to expect a shutdown
> after a snapshot.

Understood.

> Anyone else using this in Havana?

Not me, but I'm sympathetic with your worries, and want this resolved as
well.  We're using Icehouse with RBD, currently without the "ephemeral"
patches, but we would really like to (re-) activate that part of the
integration soon.

It's maybe worth asking on #ceph or posting to one of the CEPH mailing
lists, too.

Good luck,
--
Simon.