[Openstack-operators] Operations project: Packaging

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Wed Nov 19 22:01:16 UTC 2014

That sort of makes the operator/package builder then solely responsible
for knowing what the versions should be right? Once used it becomes no
longer pbr's job to figure out a right version, which works ok as long
as u have the appropriate infrastructure to do this correctly (and
meticulously follow this). That seems like extra work that I'd rather
not get involved in :-P

For something like a git-hash I recall there was going to be some
inbuilt pbr support for extracting a valid rpm-version that would be
valid even for git-hashes without having to start overriding the version
via PBR_VERSION. This would be the ideal case, to always have a version
that works come from PBR's version automagic code, either if its a
git-hash, a tag, or something else...

I think that code might be in an unreleased PBR code base but I'm not
100% sure (it was connected to the sem-ver code that got added since
sem-ver calculates the version and then there was a translation to a rpm
version), I don't see `python setup.py --help` having a new command that
could get this version so I'm guessing thats still the case.

-Josh