[Openstack-operators] Operations project: Packaging

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Nov 19 21:28:16 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Michael Chapman's message of 2014-11-17 22:16:28 -0800:
> Hi all,
>
> Packaging was one of the biggest points of interest in the Friday Paris
> meeting, and I'd like to use this thread to have a centralised discussion
> and/or argument regarding whether there is a packaging system that is
> flexible enough that we can adopt it as a community and reduce the
> fragmentation. This conversation began in Paris, but will likely continue
> for some time.
>
> The Friday session indicates that as operators we have common requirements:
>
> A system that takes the sources from upstream projects and produces
> artifacts (packages or images).
>
> There are numerous projects that have attempted to solve this problem. Some
> are on stackforge, some live outside. If you are an author or a user of one
> of these systems, please give your opinion.
>
> Once it becomes clear who is interested in this topic, we can create a
> working group that will move towards standardising on a single system that
> meets the needs of the community. Once the key individuals for this project
> are clear, we can schedule an appropriate meeting time on irc for further
> discussion that will probably be needed.

The responses to this thread have been pretty interesting.

Count me in as interested in pulling packages into the image building
that we do for TripleO. A number of operators have expressed confusion
and concern about updating an app with whole image updates, so it would
be quite useful if we could instead just help people build and distribute
their own packages on top of the image based deploys that we already do.