[Openstack-operators] Operations project: Packaging

Xav Paice xavpaice at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 06:51:53 UTC 2014

On 18/11/14 19:16, Michael Chapman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Packaging was one of the biggest points of interest in the Friday
> Paris meeting, and I'd like to use this thread to have a centralised
> discussion and/or argument regarding whether there is a packaging
> system that is flexible enough that we can adopt it as a community and
> reduce the fragmentation. This conversation began in Paris, but will
> likely continue for some time.
>
> The Friday session indicates that as operators we have common
> requirements:
>
> A system that takes the sources from upstream projects and produces
> artifacts (packages or images).

I wish I could have been there.

I've been building packages for Ubuntu based on a combination of the
source packages from Ubuntu Cloud Archive and Debian, mixed in with our
own source trees with slight additions here and there.  So far, the
result has been quite satisfactory and a lot easier to work with than
I'd expected at the outset.

tl;dr - count me in.  I build packages for our own deployments, and
would like to get the tools right.

> There are numerous projects that have attempted to solve this problem.
> Some are on stackforge, some live outside. If you are an author or a
> user of one of these systems, please give your opinion.
>
> Once it becomes clear who is interested in this topic, we can create a
> working group that will move towards standardising on a single system
> that meets the needs of the community. Once the key individuals for
> this project are clear, we can schedule an appropriate meeting time on
> irc for further discussion that will probably be needed.

Are you still in Aus?  I'm still in NZ.  Timezones....