[Openstack-operators] Monasca: Monitoring as a Service (at scale)

Hochmuth, Roland M roland.hochmuth at hp.com
Fri Nov 14 15:02:22 UTC 2014

Hi Ops Folks, I want to let you all know about a relatively new open-source monitoring project called "Monasca", which is monitoring-as-a-service (at scale). Monasca was initially developed to address many of the problems, experiences and lessons learned from operating our operational monitoring and monitoring-as-a-service offering for HP's public cloud. Currently, we have several companies involved in the effort, such as Rackspace, IBM and TWC. There is also a lot of interest from a growing list of other companies, and we welcome contributors. Although Monasca is a monitoring-as-a-service solution, most of the current focus has been on operational monitoring of OpenStack, and in fact one of the motivations for Monasca was to consolidate both operational and monitoring-as-a-service in a single solution.

I'm going to supply a few links, but if folks are interested in learning more please let me know. We did a presentation at the Paris Summit, but I could also host a more in-depth overview and demo as time was limited during the Summit presentation and we had a lot to cover.

Monasca Deep Dive (Paris Summit)
    Video: https://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-paris-summit-2014/session-videos/presentation/monasca-deep-dive-monitoring-at-scale
    Pdf: https://www.openstack.org/assets/presentation-media/Monasca-Deep-Dive-Paris-Summit.pdf

Wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Monasca
Stackforge: https://github.com/stackforge?query=monasca
Vagrant Development Environment: https://github.com/stackforge/monasca-vagrant
API Documentation: https://github.com/stackforge/monasca-api/blob/master/docs/monasca-api-spec.md
Agent Documentation: https://github.com/stackforge/monasca-agent
Ansible repositories: https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=ansible-monasca
Chef repositories: https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=cookbooks-monasca&type=Repositories&ref=searchresults
Puppet repos: https://github.com/twc-openstack/puppet-monasca
IRC: #openstack-monasca

We would really like to get feedback on the project from the OpenStack Ops community.

Regards --Roland