[Openstack-operators] Proposal for an 'Operations' project

Xav Paice xavpaice at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 18:59:21 UTC 2014

On 07/11/14 01:42, Michael Dorman wrote:
> This same thing came up at the mid-cycle Ops meet up at RAX in August.
>  There wasn’t much action that came from it, but we did set up a new
> org in GitHub for collecting this type of common stuff:
>  https://github.com/osops

Excellent! Wish I'd noticed this earlier...

If we've got as far as this, there's already a location for us to share
tools and commonly needed 'things' as ops.  Michael has a great point
that this is stuff which we all benefit from, and the level of
collaboration and peer review available on OpenStack projects is well
beyond any Stackforge project.

It would also assist the other projects, including documentation, if we
had a coordinated and agreed best practice for deploying and running
OpenStack.  In particular, the packaging efforts put in by the distros
seems to me to be something that varies far too much, with many ops
selecting to disregard distro packages in favour of our own.