[Openstack-operators] Atlanta Summit - More Ops? ;)

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Mar 31 02:15:39 UTC 2014

On 30/03/14 00:44, John Dewey wrote:
> Would it make sense to have an ops PTL?

So, my reading is we already have such governance established - but
rather than being an individual, it is a committee - the user committee.
We'll need to tweak it a bit I guess, but in fact it is already set up
such that the TC _must_[1] listen to it ... for at least four hours per
year ;)

Since the number of users majorly outweighs the number of developers in
a project, we probably do need more than a single individual. Tim, Ryan
and JC have done very well in this extremely difficult position so far.

However, I think if we can rally around the user committee, get some
more people in and start doing even more things it might just satisfy
the need for extra governance we're seeking.

Thoughts? What would you see this group doing?

Regards,

Tom

[1] 4.14 User Committee. The User Committee shall be an advisory
committee to the Board of Directors and shall be comprised of at least
three (3) Individual Members, one (1) appointed by the Technical
Committee, one (1) appointed by the Board of Directors, and one (1)
appointed by the appointees of the Technical Committee and Board of
Directors. The User Committee shall organize its meetings and may, on
approval of the Board of Directors, create elected seats to be filled by
a vote of the Individual Members. On request of the User Committee, the
Board of Directors shall invite the User Committee to attend each
regular quarterly meeting and shall allocate at least one (1) hour
during the regular quarterly meeting following the annual election to
hear the report and recommendations of the User Committee. On request of
the User Committee, the Technical Committee shall invite the User
Committee to attend a regular meeting and shall allocate at least one
(1) hour during such meeting up to four times each calendar year to hear
the report and recommendations of the User Committee.

> John
>
> On Friday, March 28, 2014 at 2:34 AM, Tom Fifield wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I had a bit of a play around, combining some similar things from the
>> suggestions, and was able to come up with something that I think covers
>> everything that was suggested. If it's way off - no problems, we can go
>> to a vote or similar.
>>
>> Also had a go at selecting moderators for sessions based on our
>> volunteers - feel free to strike yourself out or move around.
>>
>> All of this is up for discussion and change, so read below and head on
>> over to the etherpad, or post a reply email :)
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ATL-ops-unconference-RFC
>>

>> Monday
>> 0700 - 1115 Registration, Keynotes, Break
>> 1115 - 1155 Ask the devs: Meet the PTLs and TC, How to get the best
>> out of the design summit
>> 1205 - 1245 Reasonable Defaults
>>
>> 1400 - 1440 Upgrades and Deployment Approaches
>> 1450 - 1530 Architecture Show and Tell, Tales and Fails
>> 1540 - 1620 Architecture Show and Tell, Tales and Fails
>>
>> 1730 - 1810 Security (MODERATOR NEEDED)
>>
>> Schedule: Friday
>> 9:00 - 9:40 Enterprise Gaps
>> 9:50 - 10:30 Database
>>
>> 10:50 - 11:30 Issues at Scale
>> 11:40 - 12:20 Monitoring and Logging
>>
>> 1:20 - 2:00 Ansible (MODERATOR NEEDED)
>> 2:10 - 2:50 Chef
>> 3:00 - 3:40 Puppet
>>
>> 4:00 - 4:40 Networking
>> 4:50 - 5:30 Best discovery of the week, Meta Discussion - ops
>> communication and governance
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Tom
>>
>> On 27/03/14 11:20, Tom Fifield wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> The idea for this "Operators Summit" has received excellent support, and
>>> we have more than twenty session ideas proposed in the etherpad:
>>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ATL-ops-unconference-RFC
>>>
>>> We've blocked out a room on Monday to host it.
>>>
>>> What we need now is:
>>> 1) Find moderators for the sessions
>>> 2) Select which sessions are going to happen