[Openstack-operators] [TripleO] Default logging configuration

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Mar 11 19:28:04 UTC 2014

Hi - I filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1290759 last
night after we found yet another CI issue that just cannot be debugged
with the default logging configuration and also chatting with some of
our public cloud folk who are experimenting with TripleO -- turns out
that we don't run the default logging configuration in public cloud
because it's not suitable for analysing and solving issues.

I'm seeking a copy of the actual configuration thats used, though it
sounds like its just 'debugging' except for Neutron which was tooooo
verbose.

However, I'd like to do a poll - what do you, dear operators, do for logging.

- Whats your default log level (upstream default, verbose, debug,
something special?)
- How do you handle log overload?
  - Do you overlog and prune on display (e.g. via logstash / kibana)\
  - Do you increase logging only after a fault and hope it is reproducible?
  - Do you overlog and just deal with the volume?
  - Do you not care about logs for fault analysis?
- What would you like to see most from upstream log defaults?

Right now, TripleO is in an awkward position - we're realising that
the defaults in OpenStack are not suitable for production use, but the
developer community believes the problem is *too much logging* vs *too
little* - so I'm seeking to get more information, and find out what
other ops folk are doing, with the intent of
getting one (or perhaps more) basic profiles that meet operator needs
without everyone reinventing the wheel.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>