[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] UTF-8 required charset/encoding for openstack database?

Nick Maslov azpekt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:14:21 UTC 2014

Hi,

We are on postgres boat as well - and yes, UTF-8 is our default setting for all OpenStack databases.

Cheers,
NM

--
Nick Maslov
Sent with Airmail

On March 10, 2014 at 11:25:39 PM, gustavo panizzo (gfa at zumbi.com.ar) wrote:

adding -operators, removing -dev

On 03/10/2014 02:24 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using havana and recent we ran into an issue with heat related to
> character sets.
>
> In heat/db/sqlalchemy/api.py in user_creds_get() we call
> _decrypt() on an encrypted password stored in the database and then
> try to convert the result to unicode. Today we hit a case where this
> errored out with the following message:
>
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xf2 in position 0:
> invalid continuation byte
>
> We're using postgres and currently all the databases are using
> SQL_ASCII as the charset.
>
> I see that in icehouse heat will complain if you're using mysql and
> not using UTF-8. There doesn't seem to be any checks for other
> databases though.
>
> It looks like devstack creates most databases as UTF-8 but uses latin1
> for nova/nova_bm/nova_cell. I assume this is because nova expects to
> migrate the db to UTF-8 later. Given that those migrations specify a
> character set only for mysql, when using postgres should we explicitly
> default to UTF-8 for everything?
after running openstack with postgres for a year i can tell you. use
UTF-8 on your db.
our db were encoded SQL_ASCII on install time and sooner or later we had
issues, recreating db on UTF-8 fixed them

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333