[Openstack-operators] HA solutions for L3-Agent and metadata-agent ?

gustavo panizzo <gfa> gfa at zumbi.com.ar
Thu Mar 6 14:50:30 UTC 2014

On 03/06/2014 09:54 AM, Alvise Dorigo wrote:
> Hi,
> I opened some time ago a thread about this argument (more in general
> about HA for
> OpenStack): http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/operators/33777.
> Now I'm definitely focusing on making the Neutron's agents highly
> available.
>
> As stated in the mentioned thread there's no solution for making L3
> agent HA with the active/active paradigm. But I have to use the
> active/active paradigm.
there is no active/active route protocol to route ip packages, you can
have only one default gw. that's true in virtual as physical world. but....

i remember a eNovance guy giving a presentation during HK summit, they
have patched neutron in order to use VRRP. you may want to search that

if you use it, pls share your results. i haven't a chance to test it

> In the mentioned thread, Jay suggests to use a tool to replicate l3
> agent's status to the other node upon failure of the current node (I
> haven't used this tool yet).
>
> Reading the HA guide by Openstack
> (http://docs.openstack.org/high-availability-guide/content/_running_neutron_metadata_agent.html)
> there's not a solution active/active-based also for the metadata agent.
>
> I wonder if there's a similar tool to replicate the metadata agent's
> status on the other node, as for the l3 agent.
neutron's metadata agent is just a proxy to nova-api, it is stateless

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333