[Openstack-operators] [openstack][openstack-operators] Mysql 5.5 to 5.6

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Jun 23 23:36:26 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Belmiro Moreira's message of 2014-06-23 03:21:14 -0700:
> Hi,
> all our OpenStack databases are running on mysql 5.5.30 and we plan upgrade
> to 5.6.17 soon.
> Should we expect any issue moving to 5.6?

Heat has one known bug regarding MySQL 5.6:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1316646

There are patches up and that is a good candidate for backport to
icehouse.

> I believe in gate 5.6 is still not used. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. The gate likely won't test 5.6 unless either operators demand
it, or a distro ships 5.6.

> Profiling we see some performance decrease using 5.6 (we believe it's
> related with the cache) but

That is surprising as 5.6 has some impressive optimizer improvements
and a few minor improvements to InnoDB. I'm not aware of any changes to
"the cache".