[Openstack-operators] Private cinder volume types

Álvaro López García alvaro.lopez.garcia at cern.ch
Fri Jun 6 07:40:12 UTC 2014

Hi Tim.

On Fri 06 Jun 2014 (06:20), Tim Bell wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is support for private cinder volume types ?
>
> The use case is within a private cloud where some projects are allowed to ask for high speed volumes. However, the standard projects are not allocated quotas for these (and will not be in future).
>
> However, in Horizon or the CLI, these volume types are visible even though the use of them is not possible.
>
> For images, there is a possibility to mark an image as private and it is not visible at all to other projects.

Not only images, but also flavors can be marked as private and grant
access only to the needed projects so I think same approach could be
used in cinder, using the volume types that are already there.

> Would others be interested in a similar facility for volume types (or does it exist already :) ?

Yes, we have the same same use-case, so we would be interested in
this feature but not only for volumes: flavors and images can be marked as
private already, volumes should have this feature but also networks
(floating IP pools) should be considered.

Regards,
Álvaro López García                              aloga at ifca.unican.es
Instituto de Física de Cantabria         http://alvarolopez.github.io
Ed. Juan Jordá, Campus UC                      tel: (+34) 942 200 969
Avda. de los Castros s/n
39005 Santander (SPAIN)