[Openstack-operators] Browser dependent weirdness in dashboard

Jeff Silverman jeff at sweetlabs.com
Thu Jul 31 20:21:57 UTC 2014

This is kinda hard to describe.  I am having problems with dashboard.

I am running on Centos 6.5

Dashboard is installed on my controller node.  When I first installed
dashboard and tested, I was able to login as "jeff" but then getting 500
INTERNAL SERVER ERROR responses with both Mozilla Firefox and Google
Chrome.  I looked through /var/log/error_log and found that the problem was
a ConnectionError in  /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/requests/adapters.py
line 206.  I never resolved that issue.  I sent a message to the mailing
list at python-requests, which is the project that write adapters.py asking
them for more troubleshooting information from the exception handler.

I rebooted the controller node to test if the services would come back.
 openstack-nova-api failed to start because:

2014-07-30 13:28:52.356 4651 ERROR nova.wsgi [-] Could not bind to 0.0.0.0:8775
2014-07-30 13:28:52.357 4651 CRITICAL nova [-] error: [Errno 98]
Address already in use

nova-api-metadata has already grabbed port 8775.  I don't understand why
nova processes are running on my controller when they are compute
processes, but then there is a lot about openstack that I don't understand
(and I appreciate your bearing with me).

​I am back to troubleshooting dashboard, and here is where it gets weird.
 It doesn't work, but it doesn't work differently depending on whether ​I
use Google Chrome (Version 36.0.1985.125 on Fedora 20) or Mozilla Firefox
(version 24.7.0-1.el6.centos).  With firefox, I get a login page.  When I
enter my username and password, I get a login failure.  error_log says [Thu
Jul 31 18:57:27 2014] [error] Login failed for user "jeff".  By way of
contrast, when I use Chrome, I get a 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR.  error_log
says
​ConnectionError: [Errno 111] Connection refused.  That means that the
remote server was reachable, but when TCP sends the SYN packet to the
server, it responds with a TCP RESET packet.  So I know my network is good.

I decided to do some troubleshooting with tcpdump and wireshark.  Chrome
makes 4 connections from different source ports to port 80.  I haven't a
clue why, it makes the second third, and fourth connections before it ACKs
the first connection.  Then it does a GET /dashboard HTTP/1.1 from the
first connection.  The server responds with a 302 redirect to Location:
http://controller1-prod.sea.opencandy.com/dashboard/admin/\r\n which I
guess makes sense.  Then server closes the first connection.  The second
connection then does a GET to /dashboard/admin.  The server responds with a
500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR.  The HTTP header of the response is:
HTTP/1.1 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR