[Openstack-operators] [OpenStack-Operators] [Cinder] Request for input on new/advanced features

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Tue Jul 29 03:32:18 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Scott Devoid <devoid at anl.gov> wrote:

> For those of you looking for more details, here are the specs for each
> feature:
>
> 1. Replication - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/98308/
> 2. Consistency Groups - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/96665
>
> ​Yes, thanks very much for linking those Scott.  I'm not convinced that
those specs are the right way to start which is part of what I was getting
at with how "deep" to go in the Cinder API versus how much to leave up to
the Admins.
​

> Replication:
> - Looks like this is specifically for replication between two
> cinder-volume servers with the same storage driver. Which is ok for me.
> - I am concerned with the driver API around promoting replicas (e.g. only
> calling a function on the secondary) since you are probably in a network
> partition when this is called.

​Good point, I think the idea here was for the specific use case of
replicating across back-ends that are in the same OpenStack Cluster or
maybe DC.  In other words providing the ability to recover from a device
failure by switching over to the secondary that's included in the same
OpenStack cluster/region.

The more interesting case that seems to be coming up however is geo-rep to
perhaps a secondary OpenStack deployment, unless maybe I'm misinterpreting
some of this?
​

> Consistency Groups:

​I'll try and step through these tomorrow.  These are things that we talked
about in Atlanta, some things we had answers/solutions for, some we did
not.  Regardless these are excellent and very applicable points, thanks for
raising them here.
​