[Openstack-operators] Lost OVS GRE tunnels after Icehouse upgrade

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Jul 24 15:30:41 UTC 2014

HI All,

Continuing saga of my icehouse upgrade attemtempts.

On Ubuntu 12.04 using cloud archive upgrade from Havana/OVS to Icehouse/ML2+OVS.

Networking is set to primarily use vlan based provider networks, there
are (finally) working.

Tenant networks are configured to use GRE overlay.  Post upgrade these
do not work.  Experience with neuiton suggests that I'm chasing all
the wrong things, but here's what I think are some of the deeper
symptoms:

After upgrade I expect :
root at compute-0:~# ovs-vsctl list-ports br-tun
gre-1
gre-2
<etc>
patch-int

like it does in the Havana production cloud, but only patch-int exists.

database seems be odd after ml2 conversion as well.

pre upgrade (ovs):
mysql> select * from neutron.ovs_tunnel_allocations where allocated != '0';
+-----------+-----------+
| tunnel_id | allocated |
+-----------+-----------+
|         1 |         1 |
|         2 |         1 |
|         3 |         1 |
|         4 |         1 |
|         5 |         1 |
|         6 |         1 |
|         7 |         1 |
|         8 |         1 |
|         9 |         1 |
|        10 |         1 |
+-----------+-----------+
10 rows in set (0.01 sec)

post upgrade (ml2):
mysql> select * from neutron.ml2_gre_allocations where allocated != '0';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

the ml2_gre_endpoints table is populated, though it only seems to have
one column 'ip_address' where the old ovs_tunnel_endpoints had
'ip_address' and 'id', presumably this is just a design change and not
a migration problem, but just in case.

can anyone suggest where to look next or what I'm doing worng?

Thanks,
-Jon