[Openstack-operators] ovs->ml2 migration issues during icehouse upgrade

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Thu Jul 17 06:14:48 UTC 2014

>> After some wondering about why things did not work as expected I discovered that the daemon was not using the config file...
>Is "the daemon" still referring to neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent?

Yes, the openvswitch daemon goes directly to the ovs_neutron_plugin.ini

>> I also noticed I need to add the following to the ml2_conf to get it working with openvswitch (using vlans):
>> [ovs]
>> bridge_mappings = default:br-eth1
>This should go in ovs_neutron_plugin.ini for
>neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent to read it. neutron-server does not
>need this config as it is implementation details only required by the
>mechanism agent.

Ok, now I'm getting somewhere. Seems that I was mistaken in what used what.
So the ml2 ini file is/should not used by the openvswitch agent but only by the server part?

>I do agree that the relation between ml2_conf.ini and the mechanism
>agent config file is not clear. I had to ask around, do some tests
>and/or blinding trust the documentation. (which happens to work for me)
Yep!
It now makes some sense why stuff was not working :)
I thought the ml2 plug also affected the openvswitch daemon but apparently that does not use this config at all?
Somewhat weird as I understood this makes the agent more pluggable but it only affects the server part?

Thx,
Robert van Leeuwen