[Openstack-operators] ovs->ml2 migration issues during icehouse upgrade

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Mon Jul 14 19:21:42 UTC 2014

When we made the switch to neutron+ml2 I had a similar issue with getting ml2 working correctly.  After much pain I finally talked to a developer on IRC who recommended on only have the ml2 plugin enabled on neutron api servers.  All the compute and network nodes would just your standard openvswitch plugin/configurations.  This has worked for us so far, however we are running under havana and haven't updated to icehouse yet.  I would suggestion moving your compute/network nodes back to the openvswitch plugin and see if that resolves your issue.

I agree the documentation around neutron+ml2 is pretty abysmal.  Mostly centered on how to get ml2 running in devstack.  The docs really need to be updated/amended for real world configurations.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy, LLC.