[Openstack-operators] Request for Load data for Keystone

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Jan 30 14:49:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Allamaraju, Subbu <subbu at subbu.org> wrote:
> Adam,
>
>> Tried PKI tokens with Grizzly upgrade (which we did in August), had
>> performance issues and switched back to UUID stayed with that for
>> Havana upgrade earlier this month.
>
> Could you elaborate on the performance issue? In our tests with Havana, token generation performance with PKI was slightly higher than that of UUID, but token validation is way faster since validation is local to the client.

That was my expectation but not my experience, unfortunately as it
happened in mid upgrade while transitioning from nova-network to
neutron (well quantum) all I can say is my PKI config couldn't keep up
& reverting to UUID made things work.  While I agree this go against
all rational explanation and may well be my fault due to some local
misconfiguration I've never managed to have time to go back and
properly test why that was or even if it is still the case.  I can't
think what I could misconfigure that would make PKI work slowly
without being so broken it wouldn't work, but if there is something I
probably did it.

I did give Adam permission to make this email public, but if I'd been
writing directly to the list I would have included those caveats.
Rationally PKI *should* be much better than UUID, & I have a 6 month
old note on my white board to figure out why it wasn't.

-Jon