[Openstack-operators] [Horizon] Improving the Horizon Overview Pages

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 13:13:01 UTC 2014

On 30.01.2014 03:29, Liz Blanchard wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I’ve been working with the Horizon team and thinking about how we could improve the Horizon Overview pages (both for the self-service user[1] as well as the administrator[2]). I wanted to send my design ideas out to the list to get feedback from potential users in order to confirm these designs are valid or see if they need further updates. These are still early wireframes, so please feel free to give any and all comments on these.  A few specific questions that would be great to hear feedback on:
>
> 1) Is there anything missing that a user looking at Horizon would want to see at a high level?
> 2) Is there anything here that doesn’t belong?
> 3) Is there a different way you would want to see the data here represented?
>
> Thanks for any feedback you may be able to give!

As user:

1) popup dialogue for floating IP allocation to instance usually show
'no address available' without any way to allocate new address from that
dialogue (allocate new button, or just link to 'floating ips' page will
be really nice)
2) Network map is really sad. I can create new networks and routers but
can not connect them.
3) Many fields are marked as mandatory, but I think they should propose
some autogenrated values. I means:
     * snapshot name (f.e. instancename_date is nice default)
     * router name (routerN is fine)
     * instance name (instanceN, or just empty uuid is fine)
     * network name (network1)

4) If there is one single network in tenant, it should be attached to
new instances by default during creation (without explicit selection on
other tab)
5) If there is few external networking, adding floating IP is really
pain in the stack: If I select wrong floating IP (allocated to different
external network than instance can reach) it allow me to click
'allocate', but will return error and close dialog. If there is few more
networks, it's gonna be hell of the work to do it right.
6) To have network data on same page as VNC console is good idea
7) And soft reboot button there to.

As admin:
1) I want to see real reason why instance was not able to start from
horizon, not from nova show cli. That trace usually very informative and
it's nice to see them (as administrator, at least).
2) I want to have easy way to delete tenant with all it stuff: swift
objects, snapshots, routers, networks, floatings, instances, keys,
access groups, etc.