[Openstack-operators] [grizzly][quantum] Router/DHCP interface OVS port tags not reliably implementing

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 11:32:05 UTC 2014

I'm getting inconsistent implementations of port tags for router internal
interfaces and DHCP interfaces when they're created in OVS by the Quantum
OVS Plugin.

The resulting symptom is that when a new network/subnet is created then
either the instance is not able to get a DHCP address (this is when the
dhcp port isn't tagged) or the instance is unable to communicate outside of
its network (this is when the internal router interface port isn't tagged).

Environment:
 - Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS
 - Grizzly 2013.1.3-0ubuntu1~cloud0
 - Quantum with GRE Tunneling
 - OpenVSwitch 1.4.0-1ubuntu1.5

For example, what I should be seeing is something like this:

        Port "tap7ef1ee95-52"
            tag: 30
            Interface "tap7ef1ee95-52"
                type: internal
        Port "qr-8bfc6675-3a"
            tag: 13
            Interface "qr-8bfc6675-3a"
                type: internal

However, I end up seeing something like this:

        Port "tap2b520e87-5e"
            Interface "tap2b520e87-5e"
                type: internal
        Port "qr-ba0036f3-7e"
            Interface "qr-ba0036f3-7e"
                type: internal

It's not consistently happening - sometimes it actually is done correctly.

The workaround to repair this is either to manually tag the interfaces
(which can be done if at least one of the ports on the subnet was correctly
tagged) or to restart 'quantum-plugin-openvswitch-agent', which
unfortunately causes a drop in connectivity for those which were correctly
tagged.

Has anyone else seen this?

Does anyone know of a bug fix or perhaps a better workaround?