[Openstack-operators] Configuration for Dell R820

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Wed Feb 26 15:10:04 UTC 2014

Tzach asks some good questions.

I can say that configuration looks like a good compute node to me
(again depending on how you answer Tzach's questions), but it's almost
certainly over sized as a controller node.

My controller is dual socket 6 core system with 48G RAM to control 64
compute nodes running 500-1000 VMs.  Typically this runs at 10-25%
load with peaks of 50-60%

As I look to bring in more compute nodes and anticipate higher VM
counts I'm looking to scale out the controller services by adding more
controllers in active/active configuration rather than scaling up the
single server it's running on.

-Jon