[Openstack-operators] Putting a hypervisor into maintenance / how to get a list of all instance IDs on a host

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Fri Feb 14 13:49:12 UTC 2014

I agree.

Just a thought: I think there should be some sort of scheduling
intelligence involved with a command like this. Right now, all of the
migration and evacuation commands work on individual instances being moved
to a specified compute node. IMO, automating this should involve the
evacuation going to the scheduler to figure out what other compute nodes
are appropriate as destinations.

Without this feature, if you were to do something like:

for i in $instance_list
do
  nova live-migration $i c01
end

c01 might already be at capacity or would be well-over capacity by the time
the loop finishes.

Individual sites might make their own variation of this (such as choosing a
compute node based on the nth instance being migrated) but that might not
be the most "professional" solution :)

Or does this intelligence already exist in OpenStack and I'm just falling
behind?