[Openstack-operators] What is the best production kernel, openvswitch combination?

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 11:08:36 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

We have a production cloud system running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with
Openstack Grizzly from the Ubuntu Cloud Archive. We're using the stock
Openvswitch from the Precise repo.

Current levels:
kernel 3.2.0-54
openvswitch 1.4.0-1ubuntu1.5
openstack 1:2013.1.4-0ubuntu1~cloud0

Recently I tried doing a dist-upgrade to kernel 3.2.0-58. After the reboot
everything seemed fine, then the quantum ovs agent started, initiated the
gre tunnels and the kernel panicked. Not good. As it turns out, this has
been picked up by others:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-cisco/+bug/1260334
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/openvswitch/+bug/1262692

So, the simplest solution appeared to be to try updating to
openvswitch-1.4.6 from precise-proposed. I tried that (admittedly keeping
the kernel version static) on a network node and it borked again.

Alright, so perhaps I should just let sleeping dogs lie and leave the
software levels as they are. That'd be great except that as they are I'm
experiencing issues with port tagging not working properly for router
internal ports and dhcp service ports:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1269795

So, I'd like to know from anyone still reading - what levels of kernel,
openvswitch and openvswitch-datapath-dkms do you have working perfectly in
production?

I'm aware of the potential performance issues with a sub-v1.11 ovs - slow
performance is a lesser issue for me right now, and we have other
protections against DOS attacks, I'm more concerned with having a stable
system that works as it's supposed to.

Ideally I'd like a combination of packages directly from Ubuntu Archive and
Cloud Archive - preferably no compilations from source or PPA's. I'm happy
to use some packages from Havana Cloud Archive if they come recommended.

So far it looks to me like this may work:
kernel 3.11.0-12 - using linux-lts-saucy from Ubuntu Archive
openvswitch 1.10.2 - from Havana Cloud Archive
openvswitch-datapath-dkms 1.10.2 - from Havana Cloud Archive

Any thoughts, comments or anecdotes would be highly appreciated.