[Openstack-operators] Limiting IOPS on a specific VM

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 12:36:26 UTC 2014

Hi Tim,

> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 09:56:44 +0000
> From: Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch>
> To: "openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org"
>         <openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>
> Subject: [Openstack-operators] Limiting IOPS on a specific VM
>

> With https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/InstanceResourceQuota, it is
possible to define the maximum disk read rate such as

> nova flavor-key m1.small  set quota:disk_read_bytes_sec=10240000
>
> Is there a way to do the same thing for one VM rather than for a flavor ?
If a hypervisor is encountering a high I/O load, we would like to be able
to throttle back the IOPS from some of the VMs temporarily.

Couldn't you just directly twiddle the relevant cgroups knobs for the
problem instance/s?

Perhaps you are looking for a Nova integrated approach though... I don't
think anything exists yet. Out of curiosity, how are you detecting this in
the first place?

--
Cheers,
~Blairo