[Openstack-operators] Fostering OpenStack Users

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Dec 30 03:10:26 UTC 2014

On 30/12/14 04:57, James Dempsey wrote:
> Hey Operators,
>
> How do you help new OpenStack users learn to build awesome stuff in your
> OpenStack clouds?
>
> I come from a more traditional Systems/Operations background, so when it
> comes time to on-board someone who intends to build an application in
> the cloud, I'm at a bit of a loss once I have sorted out their API
> access.  Sure, I'll give them some cloud-init examples and tell them to
> go read about Heat, but infrastructure is my area of expertise, not
> cloud applications.
>
> So, back to my original question:
>
> What information do you give new users to help them be effective in the
> cloud?  What is your go-to demo for people who don't quite understand
> what OpenStack is offering?  How do you reach out to people in your
> organizations who aren't OpenStack users yet, but probably should be?

An awesome question, James.

In fact, I think there's a gap here.

How about something in the style of the "django first app"[1] tutorial,
but for the OpenStack API? So, you get lead through the process of using
the cloud to get some cloud-y app up and running.

I'm hoping that will be a good thing to do  - because I'm currently
trying to gather people to write exactly that*. This is part of the
Application Ecosystem Working Group[2] - a broad effort we've got going
on to try and fix this kind of thing and make it easier to build apps on
top of OpenStack. The Foundation's also looking to hire someone[3] to
help with this kind of thing.

Would very much be interested in any and all further thoughts on this
area - we have the capability to do great things :)

Regards,

Tom

[1] https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/intro/tutorial01/
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Application_Ecosystem_Working_Group
[3]
http://www.openstack.org/community/jobs/view/2205/app-dev-community-coordinator
* off-list recommendations of people welcome. I'll try and introduce
this effort better over on the user-committee mailing list soon.