[Openstack-operators] Small openstack

Jesse Keating jkeating at bluebox.net
Sun Dec 21 23:56:32 UTC 2014

On 12/20/14 2:16 PM, George Shuklin wrote:

> I've suddenly got request for small installation of openstack (about 3-5
> computes).
>
> They need almost nothing (just a management panel to span simple
> instances, few friendly tennants), and I curious, is nova-network good
> solution for this? They don't want network node and do 'network node on
> compute' is kinda sad.
>
> (And one more: did anyone tried to put management stuff on compute node
> in mild production?)

For our smaller clusters, we typically do a 3 node setup. Control
services are typically mirrored across two of the nodes we deem
"controller nodes", and compute services go on all three. The two
service nodes have some size reserved on them to prevent overrunning the
services.

In this scenario we run Neutron in an HA mode on the control nodes.
Neutron typically will run routing and gateway services on one of those
nodes, with the ability to fail over to the other one.

This setup works quite well for many of our clients.

--
-jlk