[Openstack-operators] Small openstack

Xav Paice xavpaice at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 08:42:02 UTC 2014

On 21/12/14 11:16, George Shuklin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've suddenly got request for small installation of openstack (about
> 3-5 computes).
>
> They need almost nothing (just a management panel to span simple
> instances, few friendly tennants), and I curious, is nova-network good
> solution for this? They don't want network node and do 'network node
> on compute' is kinda sad.
>
> (And one more: did anyone tried to put management stuff on compute
> node in mild production?)

The cost of a physical server for network and management functions isn't
that high, surely?  Or is it the single point of failure they're trying
to avoid with not wanting a network node?

What's the strategy for storage on a small cluster like that - I'd be
looking closely at Ceph shared with the compute nodes, but some places
already have a SAN that wants to be used.