[Openstack-operators] [openstack][SWIFT] I want to talk about costs !! (against amazon S3)

Alejandro Comisario alejandro.comisario at mercadolibre.com
Wed Apr 30 12:11:40 UTC 2014

Hi guys.
After amazon dropped its prices among other things, on S3 its seems that i
need in my compañy to justify/analyze if swift keeps being the most cost
convenient solution (we have it in house)

When we decided going with swift one year ago, one of the main constraints
was "keeping the data in our datacenter" so we did'nt do the excercice of
costs, but today since "seems" that this constraint might be no more i need
to go through this excercise (of course i want to stay with swift)

So, im reaching the community to ask experiences of people that went
through the same scenario, things to take into account and recent results.

I bumped with a great aticle from Amar Kapadia at:
http://www.buildcloudstorage.com/2012/01/can-openstack-swift-hit-amazon-s3-like.htmland
since i belive is a great place to start, the calculations an
variables
might be outdated.

help is more than apreciated!!

​best.