[Openstack-operators] Do you recommend large subnets in provider network?

sylecn sylecn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 02:57:11 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:54 AM, Manish Godara <manishg at yahoo-inc.com>wrote:

>  Yes, it's an issue if there is a large subnet (performance issues due to
> broadcast as well as resource issues due to number of MACs on the subnet,
> etc. - the severity would depend on the scale+size).  Or use L3 agents/
> overlay / etc. - which may have its own performance issues depending on
> your scale.

Hi Manish,

Do you have a number of just how big a subnet size is when it starts to
have negative impact on the performance of the subnet?

How would you benchmark network performance? Booting many VMs with
significant network load is not possible since I don't have enough
hardware. Is there a way to simulate and investigate the issue?

Yuanle