[Openstack-operators] Icehouse and libguestfs and ZFS

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Apr 17 16:04:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Joe Topjian <joe at topjian.net> wrote:

> I have compute nodes running Ubuntu and use ZFS (from the ZFS PPA).
> Installing libguestfs-tools removes ZFS because libguestfs wants zfs-fuse.
>
> I did a little digging and found this:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libguestfs/+bug/1053911
>
> In the bug, Jon mentions that it is possible to install libguestfs-tools
> without zfs-fuse, although it looks like some dancing is involved.

my note about forcing depends is a brutal kludge which I meant to
suggest it's a packaging issue an not an actual hard dependency.
Further comments suggest this is also the case and that changes
upstream and waiting on Debian packaging to implement splitting the
filesystem support into sub packages of libguestfs...but for now
you're likely in a bit of a bind.

I'm thankfully not using zfs on my openstack nodes, but I'd suggest
you add your concerns to the bug hopefully if it's impacting OpenStack
which Canonical is leaning heavily on as their big value in today's
LTS release they'll boot the priority and get it done.

>  Maybe packaging libguestfs myself without
> zfs-fuse would be the easiest solution?

If you do please put it in a ppa and share

-Jon