[Openstack-operators] [openstack][nova] Several questions/experiences about _base directory on a big production environment

matt matt at nycresistor.com
Wed Apr 2 18:27:37 UTC 2014

the original goal of cloud and openstack was to adhere to a service
oriented architecture so that you could rely on n+1 service structures.

this goes back to the puppies versus cattle thing.  of course, openstack
just isn't all the way there yet, and when we as operators go out and try
to ensure parts of our infrastructure don't go down, or have to deal with
very real hardware / financial constraints... we end up violating that
lofty goal.

I'd say that by centralizing _base you basically setup a vertical ( or a
puppy ).  Much like we have to deal with in MySQL for openstack itself
today.  We're still building verticals when the goal was to remove
verticals from the herd and rely on horizontal scaling.

So from a theory perspective, it's not the direction we want to go in terms
of openstack culture.  By keeping _base local to each compute node, you are
ensuring the compute nodes can operate independently without reliance on
any centralized service.  That's the theoretical goal.  Of course, that can
be a costly goal.  Not just in terms of _base.

So I think we're still struggling with achieving what is still a
theoretical ideal rather than building against a proven model.  And that's
what happens when you decide to operate on the ragged edge of technology.

>From my perspective I'd have not setup the NFS as a direct link to the
compute nodes.  I'd have maybe rsync'ed against the NFS as a sort of
backup.  But I'd have wanted a local path that could operate independently
even if in limited capacity if the authoritative data source had failed.
It's fine to build authoritative sources, and central repos... as long as
they're failure will not impact the service oriented architecture
components.

That's my stream of thought on this.  I'd love to hear other folks ideas.

-Matt