[Openstack-operators] Folsom to Grizzly Upgrade Nodes

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Sep 20 20:14:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM, matt <matt at nycresistor.com> wrote:
> I dunno.  Quantum doesn't have real layer3 yet.  nova-network does.  And
> spanning tree collisions are still a credible risk in a cloud
> infrastructure.
>
> I'm hesitant to recommend quantum to folks until it has actual layer3
> support.

That's fair.  Like most things it depends on your use case, and
quantum/neutron may not fit.  I do think *for new deployments* if
quantum/neutron can be made to fit you will be happier in the long run
to avoid having to make the transition as I think it's clear
nova-network won't be around forever.

I initially though quantum was a non-starter because of the L-3 issue.
 I have previous experience with a cloud system that tried NAT'ing all
it's network traffic through a single Linux node and it was a freaking
nightmare and I'm not going there again.  My solution for quantum was
to keep routing routing outside and on "real" networking gear that we
normally use, but I can definitely see both technical and
organizational reasons why this isn't an option for everyone.

Why having equivalent functionality to nova-network multi host wasn't
a requirement for quantum to move to "core" I don't understand and
really think was a huge mistake.

-Jon